Top 5 Protein Skimmers for Nano Aquarium Tanks in 2019
Top 5 Protein Skimmers for Nano Tanks in 2019
What is a Protein Skimmer?
Protein Skimmers play a vital role in keeping the water clean. A protein skimmers job is to remove protein and other organic waste.
The skimmer works by injecting micro air bubbles into a chamber, mixed with water and organics. As the bubble builds, it floats up the body chamber into the waste removal cup thus removing organic from your system.
Deploying out a Protein Skimmer will help reduce nitrate levels in an aquarium.
The principle is the same however different manufacturers will create their skimmer ever so slightly different to be different.
There are many designs that covers internal to external to hang-on.
Lets take a look at the Top 5 Protein Skimmers for Nano Tanks.
- Marco Aqua M-50 Hang-on – up to 60 gallons (see price)
- Marine Color RDC 150 Hang on – up to 40 gallons (see price)
- Innovative Marine Nuvoskim DC protein Skimmer – Desktop (see price)
- Reef Octopus NS-80 Nano Protein Skimmer (see price)
- Icecap K1-Nano Protein Skimmer (see price)
Marco Aqua M-50 Hang-on – up to 60 gallons
The Macro Aqua M-50 Hang-on Protein Skimmer is rate for aquariums up to 60 gallons. Great for medium load.
This skimmer provides the following:
- High quality protein skimmer for up to 60 gallon tank
- Small hang-on back skimmer design
- Water Flow at 238gph
- Effectively eliminates organic waste.
- Removable cup collection cup to dispose skim waste
- Easy to install and operate.
- No priming required
- Special Needle-to-wheel impeller design for maximum air to water contact
Marine Color RDC 150 Hang on – up to 40 gallons
This skimmer is a hang on type that supports up to 40 gallons at medium load. This an internal hang on skimmer. The footprint is 5.9in x 3.5in which makes it very small and compact for what it can do.
- Modern design: All skimmer is built with high quality RED and white pipe fittings
- High Efficiency pin wheel pump
- Complete standard cone reaction chamber designs make the skimmer collects bubble smoothly and stable
- Saving area footprint design is especially suitable for use in small footprint sump or internal tank setup.
- All material is made of high-quality CAST ACRYLIC.
- Only 7.8 watts of power consumed with the provided Red Devil SP1 high efficiency pump
- Air intake capable of 180L/H air drawl
Innovative Marine Nuvoskim DC protein Skimmer – Desktop
Innovative Marine’s NuvoSkim DC has a small form factor and produces great results in an aquarium. The supplied DC pump comes with a specialized skimmer wheel that creates a large amount of bubble. These bubbles help remove waste from the tank by pulling them to the top and over to the overflow cup where it’s dumped out. This new slim line profile takes up very little space.
- Powerful & Efficient DC Pump
- Super Silent Operation
- Footprint of 3.58” x 2.28”
- Rubber Isolation Feet to reduce vibrations
- Freestanding Design
- Height of about 9.84”
- Clear Easy View Collection Cup
Recommended for aquariums up to 25 Gallons
Compatible with the following Innovative Marine Aquariums and other custom tanks
- Fusion 10
- Fusion 20
- Fusion Lagoon 25
- Peninsula 14
- Peninsula 20
- Concept Peninsula
- Concept Panorama
Reef Octopus NS-80 Nano Protein Skimmer
This is the perfect Nano skimmers from small up to 25 gallons tank setups. Reef Octopus is one of the leaders in skimming. They offer Nano size skimmer to commercial versions. They offer ac to dc pumps at a
- For Aquariums up to 25 gallons with lightly stocked fishes
- Handles tanks up to 15 if medium stocked
- Powered by OTP 200s silent Pinwheel Pump
- Small footprint
- Mounting bracket included for easy positioning
- Collection cup is easy to remove to empty
Well Stocked Tank – Rated up to 10 gallons
Medium Stocked Tank – Rated up to 15 gallons
Light Stocked Tank – Rated up to 25 gallons
Icecap K1-Nano Protein Skimmer
The IceCap K1 Nano is a well-designed skimmer rated for aquariums up to 30 gallons. This skimmer is designed with a magnet mount system that can mount on all Nano aquariums with glass or plexiglass thickness up to ½ in. The body and parts are crafted from high quality PVC and acrylic using only marine safe parts.
An impressively compact footprint makes this skimmer one of the best for tanks with limited space. This skimmer easily comes a part for maintenance when needed.
IceCap K1 comes standard with an efficient DCair 200 skimmer pump for long lasting and better performance.
- Magnet Mounting System up to 1/2in thick glass/plexiglass
- Distinctive Turbulence Reducing Body
- Solid PVC & Acrylic Construction
- Pipeless Output Valve
- Efficient & Quiet Pump Operation
- In-Sump Installation Only
- Skimmer Body: 2in
- Footprint with mount: 4.75 x 3in or 3.5 x 4in
- Total Height: 13in
- DCair 200 Pinwheel Pump
- Power Consumption: 5watts
- Air Draw: 100L/H
- Water Draw: 26gph
Here’s a quick table break down comparison of the Skimmer for an easier view:
[table id=1 /]